Wednesday, April 16, 2008

If you could just give me a few moments to myself...

"Truly...all I need is about 4 or 5 minutes and I'll be right with you...Ok, yes honey, what is it?...Uh-huh...now...just a few...what?...that's wonderful...all right, now let me...I know. You did a beautiful job on it, too, but if I could just...no, not right now...in just a little bit...Shhhhhh...give mama a minute to...never mind."

I do wish my daughter understood the concept of time. A few minutes feels like a few hours to her, so she turns them into a few seconds. In other words, I tell her, "I will be with you in a minute...", and three seconds later she's after me about something else.

It's the same thing in the car..."Are we there yet?" "No, honey, we just left the driveway." "Are we near the beach?!" "No, we're still in Asheville. Try watching this movie. When it's over we may be halfway there." "So are we close now?" "No, honey, those were just the opening credits. Just watch the movie."

But then there are times when time seems so short to her. "DeAnn, we have to leave the park now because it's getting dark." "Awwww, we just got here!" "That was two hours ago. It's now time to go home." "Just a few more minutes?" "You can play 5 more minutes."..."Okay, DeAnn, 5 minutes are up. Let's go." "But you didn't give me any time at all!"

Often Mama and Papa ask for a few moments of silence, but the word 'moment' has no meaning to her either. That's why we have the "Let's see who can be quiet the longest!" game...except she always loses. And she doesn't seem to mind.

I've set timers, but she has no respect for them. She runs by her time and her time alone.

"DeAnn, please hurry. We're late for school!"..."Put your sock on your foot...now put your foot in the shoe...stand up...put your coat on...first the right arm...then the left...get your bookbag..."...Argh! I want to send her to boot camp for a week. "MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT!"

I know one day I will have difficulty understanding time. I'll wonder why 10 years flew by as if they were only moments. "Gawsh, Mama. That was YEARS ago."

It seemed like only yesterday.

3 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

So, so true!

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! You are as good a writer as me! (Didn't that sound pretentious?!) Is there no end to your creative talents?!!!
:) Pam

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just visited your blog and I enjoyed your posts. I wonder if you'd be interested to exchange links with me? I'm mom to a 14-month-old boy and I love blogging about my experiences as a mom. My blog is at http://www.raisingdaniel.com . You can visit it and then let me know what you think.

Althea